Home Human Rights Rights Commission Flags Arbitrary Detentions, Enforced Disappearances in Burundi
Human Rights

Rights Commission Flags Arbitrary Detentions, Enforced Disappearances in Burundi

CNIDH says its prison visits uncovered widespread violations, including unlawful detention and cases involving civilians held for non-criminal offenses.

Share
Martin Blaise Nyaboho says 135 detainees were held beyond legal limits / CNIDH
Share

Burundi’s National Independent Human Rights Commission has said violations of human rights persist in the country, citing arbitrary and prolonged detentions, abductions, enforced disappearances and alleged abuses by police officers.

Presenting the commission’s 2025-2026 annual report to the lower house of Parliament on Thursday, CNIDH President Martin Blaise Nyaboho said the majority of complaints received involved civil and political rights.

The commission recorded 418 complaints involving civil and political rights, including 231 cases concerning the right to liberty and security. Of those, 223 involved alleged arbitrary or unlawful arrests and detentions, Nyaboho said.

The report also documented cases of abductions, some of which were followed by disappearances. Nyaboho said interventions by the commission helped locate some people reported missing, prompted judicial investigations and allowed the commission to monitor proceedings before the relevant prosecutors’ offices.

The report did not provide an exact figure for enforced disappearances during the reporting period. However, Nyaboho urged the government to take measures to eliminate abductions and enforced disappearances.

“The CNIDH calls for strengthening the legal framework to combat abductions and enforced disappearances,” Nyaboho said, urging Burundi to ratify the International Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance, which it signed in 2007.

The commission also raised concerns about prison conditions and the detention of people beyond legally prescribed periods.

After monitoring the detention conditions of 6,223 people, the commission identified 135 cases in which legal detention periods had been exceeded, as well as 14 cases involving people detained for acts that do not constitute criminal offenses, including civil debts, Nyaboho said.

He said the commission’s advocacy efforts had contributed to the release of 1,088 people, representing about 17.5% of the detainees in the facilities visited.

The findings come amid continued concerns over overcrowding and arbitrary detention in Burundi. In May, lawmakers and civil society organizations also raised concerns about people remaining in detention after completing their sentences or receiving pardons.

The commission additionally reported alleged abuses by police officers, including the use of firearms against civilians, mistreatment and torture.

Lawmakers questioned Nyaboho about disciplinary measures taken against police officers accused of abuses.

“Identifying the alleged perpetrators is one thing; sanctioning them is another,” lawmaker Rédempteur Gahitira said, calling for information on sanctions to reassure the public and deter further abuses.

Nyaboho said some officers had been imprisoned while others had been dismissed from the police force.

“For the cases involving the police officers concerned, there are two types of sanctions: some have been imprisoned and remain in prison, while others have been dismissed from the police,” he said.

For the 2025-2026 reporting period, the CNIDH said it investigated 10 cases of torture and documented 36 cases of abduction. Some of those cases involved alleged enforced disappearances, while some victims were later found.

The commission called on the government to continue efforts to reduce prison overcrowding and strengthen measures against impunity and violations of the right to life.

It also urged authorities to strengthen the legal framework protecting people from human trafficking and enforced disappearances.

“The CNIDH recommends that the government pursue and strengthen its policy of reducing prison overcrowding and reinforce the fight against impunity, violations of the right to life, abductions and enforced disappearances,” Nyaboho said.

Share
Related Articles

Congolese Refugees Allege Four Killed in Protest Over Delayed Repatriation at Burundi’s Busuma Camp

Refugees accuse security forces of using excessive force during the unrest, while...

Child Rights Groups Alarmed Over Persistent Street Children Crisis in Burundi

Three years after Burundi launched a program to remove street children, rights...

Burundi Faces Mounting Pressure Over Prison Overcrowding and Arbitrary Detentions

Lawmakers, activists and opposition leaders accuse the justice system of fueling arbitrary...

Burundi and Rwanda Trade Diplomatic Blows Over Banyamulenge Delegation

The latest war of words between Gitega and Kigali underscores a worsening...

ABOUT US

BREAKING BURUNDI is a leading online news platform delivering timely, independent, and accurate reporting on Burundi in English. Trusted for its credibility, it provides in-depth coverage of critical topics, including politics, economics, health, security, and the environment, keeping readers informed.

With a team of experienced journalists on the ground, BREAKING BURUNDI upholds the principles of trust, fairness, and freedom, shedding light on stories that shape Burundi's future. Dedicated to reliable journalism, we aim to inspire and empower our audience.

Contact us at: info@breakingburundi.com

About the Founder

Pierre Emmanuel Ngendakumana is a Burundian journalist. He began his career after earning a BA in English Language and Literature from the University of Burundi in 2015. He gained early experience as an intern at RTNB and Radio Nderagakura. In 2016, he joined Iwacu, Burundi’s leading independent news outlet, as editor of its online English service and a reporter for the French service, refining his skills in investigative journalism. Since relocating to Germany in 2019, Pierre Emmanuel completed a two-year journalism program at the Axel Springer Academy of Journalism and Technology in Berlin in 2024. As part of the program, he worked as a web producer and breaking news reporter for POLITICO Europe, gaining international experience. Fluent in French, English, German, Swahili, and his native Kirundi, Pierre Emmanuel is committed to promoting trust, fairness and freedom in journalism.

BREAKING BURUNDI © 2026 All Rights Reserved