The Burundian association for the fight against unemployment and torture (ALUCHOTO) has criticized what it describes as a persistent failure by authorities to establish the causes of fires that continue to devastate markets and commercial areas across Burundi.
The criticism comes as public authorities repeatedly announce investigations following major fires, while, according to ALUCHOTO, the findings of many of those inquiries have never provided clear answers about the origins of the disasters or those responsible.
Speaking a day after a fire ravaged the Ndayizamba and Le Parisien commercial galleries in central Bujumbura in the early hours of Friday, ALUCHOTO coordinator Vianney Ndayisaba questioned why investigations into such incidents rarely produce conclusive results.
“If we truly have public institutions responsible for investigating these fires, why are thorough investigations never carried out to reveal their causes or identify those responsible for these fires in public places?” Ndayisaba asked during a press conference on Saturday.
During Friday’s fire at the two commercial galleries, Burundi’s vice president reportedly said a charcoal-powered iron may have caused the blaze.
“W keep hearing that investigations have begun, but we wait in vain for their conclusions,” he added.
Ndayisaba compared the recurring fires to a form of war, arguing that traders are left traumatized after watching their merchandise and livelihoods reduced to ashes.
“We call on the highest authorities of the country, ministers, civil society and even religious leaders to come together and study how to put an end to this war,” he said. “It is a war. We cannot achieve development while citizens’ efforts to improve their lives are being destroyed by fires ravaging markets.”
He warned that the repeated incidents could also discourage investors from putting their capital into the country.
The remarks were echoed by PARCEM, another civil society organization, which called on the government to strengthen its capacity to prevent and respond to fires that have become increasingly frequent.
Faustin Ndikumana, the head of PARCEM, said on Friday that the government should improve its prevention, emergency response and firefighting capabilities, including through the possible use of aerial resources such as firefighting helicopters. He also warned that the recurring fires could damage Burundi’s business environment.
Responding to concerns over the continuing destruction of public commercial spaces, especially markets, Reverien Ndikuriyo, Secretary-general of the ruling CNDD-FDD party, said investigations were ongoing and required patience.
“Sometimes patience is necessary,” Ndikuriyo said during a press conference on Saturday in Burunga Province in southern Burundi. “Indeed, it is difficult to draw conclusions in cases of fires or crimes.”
He cited previous investigations in Ngozi and Bujumbura, saying different possible causes had been considered and that no one should rush to conclusions before investigations were completed.
Similar assurances were given earlier this month by President Evariste Ndayishimiye during an exclusive interview with the BBC. The president said investigations into previous market fires had been carried out and that, in some cases, investigators had identified specific causes.
He pointed to an attempted fire at the Buyenzi market, where investigations allegedly found that someone had left an iron switched on. For other fires whose causes remain unknown, he said investigations were still continuing.
Since the beginning of the year, several markets in Burundi have been destroyed by fire, leaving thousands of traders facing significant losses. In response, public authorities have repeatedly urged vendors and market owners to insure their property.