Home Security Ruling CNDD-FDD Warns of “Other Measures” if U.S.-Brokered DRC–Rwanda Peace Deal Fails
Security

Ruling CNDD-FDD Warns of “Other Measures” if U.S.-Brokered DRC–Rwanda Peace Deal Fails

Ruling party Secretary General Révérien Ndikuriyo discusses border security, his resignation as senator, party leadership transition, and Burundi’s military role in eastern DRC ahead of the CNDD-FDD congress.

Share
Révérien Ndikuriyo: “Burundi is vigilant and has proper intelligence” / CNDD-FDD
Share

Burundi’s ruling party, the CNDD-FDD, has warned that the country could take further measures if the U.S.-brokered peace agreements signed in 2025 between the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Rwanda fail to hold, amid escalating insecurity in eastern DRC.

The warning follows the capture of the strategic city of Uvira in South Kivu province by AFC/M23, a Rwanda-backed rebel movement, shortly after the signing of a peace deal between Kigali and Kinshasa under U.S. President Donald Trump in late December. The group later withdrew following pressure from Washington, which condemned the move and warned of possible sanctions against Kigali.

Speaking at a press conference on Friday in Burundi’s economic capital Bujumbura, CNDD-FDD Secretary General Révérien Ndikuriyo dismissed claims that Burundi had withdrawn its troops from the DRC following renewed fighting in South Kivu, clarifying that only specific units were redeployed to prevent Burundi from being implicated in alleged violations of the Washington Peace Agreements.

“Burundi is vigilant and has proper intelligence,” Ndikuriyo said. “The withdrawal concerned only those who risked being trapped into violations. It does not mean the Burundian army has withdrawn from the DRC. There are agreements in place. At any time, we can return—it is as if we are at home.”

Reports suggested that thousands of Burundian troops deployed in eastern DRC under a military memorandum temporarily pulled back during intense fighting, an episode some observers viewed as a setback shortly after the peace deal was signed. Ndikuriyo clarified that the redeployed soldiers had been stationed in Kamanyola and stressed that Burundi remains militarily prepared.

Ndikuriyo accused Rwanda of deliberately provoking attacks in order to portray Burundi as the aggressor.

“Rwanda launched attacks so that Burundi could retaliate, then claim Burundians attacked first,” he said. “When things are hot, you keep them at bay.”

Border Security Amid Rising Regional Tensions

Burundi’s Gatumba border crossing with the DRC was closed following the AFC/M23 takeover of Uvira / Iris news

The tensions prompted the temporary closure of the Burundi–DRC border, especially at the Uvira crossing, amid fears of attacks by Rwanda-backed rebels

“If you want to go to Uvira, take a plane from Bujumbura and fly over Lake Tanganyika. The country is being protected by all possible means,” he said.

Uvira, a key border town on the eastern shore of Lake Tanganyika, lies about 200 kilometers southeast of Bujumbura.

Ndikuriyo stressed that Burundi expects Washington to uphold its responsibility in enforcing the peace agreements.

“Burundi is not a problem to the world,” he warned. “However, if matters reach a critical stage, responses will follow. Other measures could be taken. If the U.S. acknowledges failure, then things will become clearer.”

He did not specify what alternative measures Burundi might consider.

Resignation as Senator

Ndikuriyo also addressed his recent resignation as a senator, which fueled speculation after the Constitutional Court declared his seat vacant in December 2025 without providing an explanation.

He framed the decision as part of leadership renewal and power-sharing within the ruling party.

“I have spent 20 years in Parliament,” he said. “I was elected senator in 2005, 2010, and again in 2020. In 2015, I became President of the Senate. Am I the only one in the country? Are there no others?”

He added that leadership positions should not be monopolized and cited age and health limitations.

“There are people capable of sitting in Parliament from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Ndikuriyo is not capable of that anymore,” he said.

His resignation comes as the CNDD-FDD prepares for a party congress scheduled for January 25, which will elect new leaders and mark the end of his five-year term as party president.

Finance Ministry–FOMI dispute

The leader of the ruling party also weighed in on the dispute between Finance Minister Alain Ndikumana and FOMI, a private fertilizer manufacturer contracted by the state.

The finance minister recently raised security concerns after accusing FOMI of exceeding agreed supply quotas and charging the government and citizens billions of Burundian francs in additional costs—allegations he said exposed him to threats.

Ndikuriyo said he was not fully aware of the security claims but questioned their credibility.

“If someone is threatened and needs police protection, we will provide it—but he already has police,” Ndikuriyo said. “If you say you are threatened while you already have police, do you want angels from heaven to protect you?”

FOMI, in a statement issued Tuesday, denied the allegations, saying it maintains a positive working relationship with the government and that increased fertilizer demand followed President Évariste Ndayishimiye’s call for citizens to embrace agriculture.

Backing the company, Ndikuriyo emphasized that FOMI is a private entity operating under contractual obligations.

“FOMI is not a state institution,” he said. “It is awarded contracts like any other company. Fertilizer issues should be addressed to the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock.”

He added that supply volumes depend on advance payments made by farmers and that all deliveries are verified through reception committees and documentation.

Share
Written by
Moïse Ndayiragije -

Moise Ndayiragije is a reporter for Breaking Burundi , where he mostly covers health and environmental issues across Burundi. He is also passionate about technology reporting and explores how innovation shapes everyday life in the country.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Burundi Keeps DRC Border Closed Indefinitely Over Security Threats, Says Foreign Minister

The prolonged closure has disrupted cross-border trade, leaving thousands of traders stranded,...

Rwandan Soldier Arrested After Crossing Into Burundi, Both Sides Confirm

The arrest coincides with international warnings of rising insecurity along Burundi’s borders.

Burundi Army Rejects Claims of Backing FDLR Fighters Targeting Banyamulenge in Eastern DRC

Gitega says accusations from a Banyamulenge self-defense group are false, reaffirming its...

Rights Group Condemns Mob Killing of Six in Bujumbura Province Over Witchcraft Accusations

Distrust in the justice system is driving Burundians to take the law...

ABOUT US

BREAKING BURUNDI is a leading online news platform delivering timely, independent, and accurate reporting on Burundi in English. Trusted for its credibility, it provides in-depth coverage of critical topics, including politics, economics, health, security, and the environment, keeping readers informed.

With a team of experienced journalists on the ground, BREAKING BURUNDI upholds the principles of trust, fairness, and freedom, shedding light on stories that shape Burundi's future. Dedicated to reliable journalism, we aim to inspire and empower our audience.

Contact us at: info@breakingburundi.com

About the Founder

Pierre Emmanuel Ngendakumana is a Burundian journalist. He began his career after earning a BA in English Language and Literature from the University of Burundi in 2015. He gained early experience as an intern at RTNB and Radio Nderagakura. In 2016, he joined Iwacu, Burundi’s leading independent news outlet, as editor of its online English service and a reporter for the French service, refining his skills in investigative journalism. Since relocating to Germany in 2019, Pierre Emmanuel completed a two-year journalism program at the Axel Springer Academy of Journalism and Technology in Berlin in 2024. As part of the program, he worked as a web producer and breaking news reporter for POLITICO Europe, gaining international experience. Fluent in French, English, German, Swahili, and his native Kirundi, Pierre Emmanuel is committed to promoting trust, fairness and freedom in journalism.

BREAKING BURUNDI © 2026 All Rights Reserved