Home Security Rwanda, Burundi Officials Acknowledge Setbacks as Border Standoff Nears Two Years
Security

Rwanda, Burundi Officials Acknowledge Setbacks as Border Standoff Nears Two Years

Despite repeated claims and denials over insurgent backing, both Gitega and Kigali admit diplomatic talks have slowed, leaving citizens and trade caught in the middle.

Share
Burundi reclosed the borders with Rwanda in 2024, accusing Kigali of aiding insurgents / Isango Star
Share

High-ranking officials in Rwanda and Burundi have admitted that diplomatic efforts to resolve the prolonged border closure between the two countries have encountered significant challenges, as the standoff approaches its second year.

Speaking on Friday during a workshop reviewing his first 100 days in office, Burundi’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Edouard Bizimana, confirmed that tensions between the two countries persist but stressed that dialogue remains the only viable path forward.

“We are cousins; we live very close to each other, we share borders, we share culture,” Bizimana said. “I do not think this is a major problem that should lead to closing all the channels. There are issues, yes, but they will be resolved through dialogue, and the contacts exist and continue—even if they may not be very fluid.”

Relations between the two East African neighbors have been fraught for nearly a decade, particularly after Burundi’s failed 2015 coup attempt, which Gitega accused Rwanda of supporting—an allegation Kigali has consistently denied. Although borders reopened in 2022 under President Evariste Ndayishimiye, tensions flared again as Burundian authorities accused Rwanda of supporting rebel groups, including the Red-Tabara movement.

In early 2024, Burundi reclosed its land borders, with President Ndayishimiye alleging that Rwanda was hosting coup plotters and backing insurgents. Kigali has repeatedly rejected the claims.

During a press conference in Kigali on Thursday, Rwandan President Paul Kagame insisted that his country bears no responsibility for the border closure, reaffirming that Rwanda has kept all its crossings open.

“There is no opening of the borders. The borders remain exactly as they were,” Kagame said. “Burundians were the ones who decided to close the borders. We have never closed them. Even now, some people travel from Burundi to here, and there are those here who go to Burundi.”

Earlier this year, Rwanda’s Foreign Affairs Minister Olivier Nduhungirehe had suggested that both countries were close to resolving the diplomatic standoff after intelligence chiefs from both sides reportedly held talks between February and March. But optimism faded when President Ndayishimiye claimed Rwanda was planning to attack Burundi—an assertion Nduhungirehe described as “unfortunate” and damaging to the negotiations.

Despite setbacks, officials on both sides say they remain committed to diplomatic dialogue. Minister Bizimana reaffirmed that even in moments of heightened tension, channels should never be entirely closed.

“Even when countries reach the point of exchanging bombs, the diplomatic path always remains open,” he said. “We continue [talking] because we have many things that connect us. We have already made significant efforts to ensure things progress well, even though some things remain undone.”

President Kagame echoed a similar sentiment, urging both countries to continue seeking peaceful coexistence. “While we are all trying to figure things out—how should we live together better than this, to make things even better? People talk. We have never wanted to have bad relations with our neighbors,” he said.

The continued closure of land borders has deepened the strain on citizens and regional trade. Travelers now endure long detours through neighboring countries to move between Rwanda and Burundi. Despite the stalemate, air travel between the two nations remains operational.

Share
Written by
Moïse Ndayiragije -

Moise Ndayiragije is a reporter for Breaking Burundi , where he mostly covers health and environmental issues across Burundi. He is also passionate about technology reporting and explores how innovation shapes everyday life in the country.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Rwandan Soldier Arrested After Crossing Into Burundi, Both Sides Confirm

The arrest coincides with international warnings of rising insecurity along Burundi’s borders.

Burundi Army Rejects Claims of Backing FDLR Fighters Targeting Banyamulenge in Eastern DRC

Gitega says accusations from a Banyamulenge self-defense group are false, reaffirming its...

Rights Group Condemns Mob Killing of Six in Bujumbura Province Over Witchcraft Accusations

Distrust in the justice system is driving Burundians to take the law...

Opposition Parties Decry Continued Political Intolerance Ahead of Burundi’s Dual Elections

As the campaign season nears its end, opposition voices grow louder over...

ABOUT US

BREAKING BURUNDI is a leading online news platform delivering timely, independent, and accurate reporting on Burundi in English. Trusted for its credibility, it provides in-depth coverage of critical topics, including politics, economics, health, security, and the environment, keeping readers informed.

With a team of experienced journalists on the ground, BREAKING BURUNDI upholds the principles of trust, fairness, and freedom, shedding light on stories that shape Burundi's future. Dedicated to reliable journalism, we aim to inspire and empower our audience.

Contact us at: info@breakingburundi.com

About the Founder

Pierre Emmanuel Ngendakumana is a Burundian journalist. He began his career after earning a BA in English Language and Literature from the University of Burundi in 2015. He gained early experience as an intern at RTNB and Radio Nderagakura. In 2016, he joined Iwacu, Burundi’s leading independent news outlet, as editor of its online English service and a reporter for the French service, refining his skills in investigative journalism. Since relocating to Germany in 2019, Pierre Emmanuel completed a two-year journalism program at the Axel Springer Academy of Journalism and Technology in Berlin in 2024. As part of the program, he worked as a web producer and breaking news reporter for POLITICO Europe, gaining international experience. Fluent in French, English, German, Swahili, and his native Kirundi, Pierre Emmanuel is committed to promoting trust, fairness and freedom in journalism.

BREAKING BURUNDI © 2025 All Rights Reserved