Home Election 2027 Burundi Opposition Says Pre-Election Dialogue Fell Short of Expectations
Election 2027

Burundi Opposition Says Pre-Election Dialogue Fell Short of Expectations

The responses provided during our discussions were not satisfactory in addressing our concerns,” five opposition parties said in a statement after their meeting with President Évariste Ndayishimiye last week.

Share
President Ndayishimiye convened a meeting with opposition leaders last week / Ntare Rushatsi House
Share

Burundi’s opposition parties have described last week’s dialogue with President Évariste Ndayishimiye on electoral concerns as “unsatisfactory,” arguing that the discussions failed to address key demands ahead of the 2027 presidential election.

In a joint statement issued Tuesday, five opposition parties — CNL, UPRONA, FRODEBU, CDP, and CODEBU — said their concerns remained unresolved despite submitting a series of recommendations during the talks.

“During the discussions, we presented our concerns along with eighteen recommendations aimed at strengthening transparency, credibility, and trust in the electoral process,” the statement read.

The parties said several critical issues were left unaddressed, including revisions to electoral laws, the restructuring of the electoral commission, and what they described as the lack of neutrality within the Constitutional Court and the national electoral body.

“However, the responses provided during our discussions were not satisfactory in addressing our concerns,” the statement added.

Last week, President Ndayishimiye convened a meeting with opposition leaders, a move widely viewed as an attempt to ease political tensions ahead of the presidential race.

The talks followed a boycott by five opposition parties of meetings organized by the national electoral commission CENI, which they accused of lacking the credibility and competence necessary to oversee a free and fair election.

President Ndayishimiye said the dialogue was intended to establish standards of political conduct before, during, and after the elections. He also urged candidates to accept electoral defeat if they lose at the ballot box and warned that boycotting the process would not bring about change.

“We came to express concerns openly and find solutions,” he said. “When you boycott the election, others gather to find remedies, and you will ultimately comply with them.”

“In this dialogue, I want us to agree on proper conduct ahead of the elections because the laws are clear and must be upheld. If citizens do not vote for you, accept the outcome and support those elected,” he added.

In their statement, the opposition leaders also criticized the absence of an official communiqué summarizing the resolutions reached during the May 15 dialogue, warning that such an omission could undermine the implementation of points of consensus that emerged from the discussions.

The 2025 legislative and communal elections — in which opposition parties failed to secure a single seat in either the National Assembly or the Senate — were heavily contested by opposition groups. While some international observers validated the results, they also noted several irregularities during the electoral process.

To enhance transparency and reassure both national and international public opinion, the opposition parties called for the establishment of a clear mechanism to monitor and implement recommendations arising from the dialogue. They argued that such a framework would help ensure that commitments made by all parties are effectively carried out and formally documented in a joint communiqué outlining key agreements.

The opposition parties concluded by reaffirming their commitment to continued dialogue, particularly on unresolved issues such as restructuring the electoral commission and its branches to better reflect political diversity, revising the electoral code to strengthen voter protections, and ending alleged intimidation and harassment of opposition supporters by members of the ruling party’s youth wing.

“We advocate for a political and electoral environment that guarantees fair competition through rules that are just, transparent, and respected by all,” the statement said.

Share
Written by
Moïse Ndayiragije -

Moise Ndayiragije is a reporter for Breaking Burundi , where he mostly covers health and environmental issues across Burundi. He is also passionate about technology reporting and explores how innovation shapes everyday life in the country.

ABOUT US

BREAKING BURUNDI is a leading online news platform delivering timely, independent, and accurate reporting on Burundi in English. Trusted for its credibility, it provides in-depth coverage of critical topics, including politics, economics, health, security, and the environment, keeping readers informed.

With a team of experienced journalists on the ground, BREAKING BURUNDI upholds the principles of trust, fairness, and freedom, shedding light on stories that shape Burundi's future. Dedicated to reliable journalism, we aim to inspire and empower our audience.

Contact us at: info@breakingburundi.com

About the Founder

Pierre Emmanuel Ngendakumana is a Burundian journalist. He began his career after earning a BA in English Language and Literature from the University of Burundi in 2015. He gained early experience as an intern at RTNB and Radio Nderagakura. In 2016, he joined Iwacu, Burundi’s leading independent news outlet, as editor of its online English service and a reporter for the French service, refining his skills in investigative journalism. Since relocating to Germany in 2019, Pierre Emmanuel completed a two-year journalism program at the Axel Springer Academy of Journalism and Technology in Berlin in 2024. As part of the program, he worked as a web producer and breaking news reporter for POLITICO Europe, gaining international experience. Fluent in French, English, German, Swahili, and his native Kirundi, Pierre Emmanuel is committed to promoting trust, fairness and freedom in journalism.

BREAKING BURUNDI © 2026 All Rights Reserved